Town & Community
- Master Doug Cook with Anika Simon at the Chosun Taekwondo Academy Belt Test this past week. Close to 100 students demonstrated their skill, spirit and dedication to the traditional martial art of taekwondo.
- 2014 Champion of the Arts, Barry Adelman of Music for Humanity, speaks of the universality of music as well as his personal connection to that art form at the 7th Annual Orange County Arts Council Awards Gala.
- Professional organizer and motivation coach Lisa Montanaro hosted her first Purpose, Passion, Productivity Retreat for Women Entrepreneurs & Leaders in California Wine Country.
- Artist Heidi Bilezikian completes her "Fall into Winter" series, which features Warwick Landscapes painted in the abstract.
- The DEBUT Album of local acoustic and eclectic folk duo of Moe and Tom (Audrey Weatherstone and Shayne O'Neill). "The Earth Is Much Like You and Me" features harmonious vocals, lots of strings and hybrid instruments. The young female performers began playing and writing music together at age 15. This CD makes a great gift - $12.
- Patricia Currea de Gillotin, owner of Shalimar Alpacas in Warwick, once again travels to Peru and shares with us snapshots of her adventures.
- The Conscious Fork, located in two locations in Warwick, displays their open market. Currently they are taking orders for Thanksgiving. Check out their menu and order your sides by the end of the weekend.
- Jeanne D'Attolico Bastable, known as the Farmer's Daugher, demonstrates her culinary genius. Here she is in the kitchen making her special chicken francaise which was delicately prepared, gently but just perfectly sauted and then served over a bed of fresh greens balancing the satisfying flavor of the chicken with the delicate zest of lemon and herbs..." From the Warwick Valley Farmer's Market Facebook Page
- Three Kurt Seligmann paintings were unwrapped last Friday night at the Seligmann Center at the Citizen's Foundation in Sugar Loaf. It was a one day exhibition and featured a lecture by scholar and curator Stephen Robeson Miller. The paintings were discovered in Europe last year.
- Serving as a key sponsor of the Warwick Valley Chamber of Commerce's 75th Anniversary Diamond Gala Dinner two weeks ago, Seely and Durland Insurance had 3 Generations of family attend the event.
This Week Featuring:
- Published: December 14, 2014
- By George L. Nitti
On Friday, Dec. 19th, amazing talent and gifted singer, Sherma Andrews will entertain and captivate audiences at the Dautaj Restaurant in Warwick, NY with her dynamic vocals, wide emotional range and unique style of singing. Born in the Caribbean and intimately acquainted with the bright sounds of the islands, she will appear with 3D Rhythm of Life (3D Ritmo de Vida), who will bring their infectious blend of island rhythms, contemporary jazz and soul to the evening.
A few of Andrews many musical credits include an early background as a church organist, first place winner in the Caribbean Song Festival and a history of touring nationally with music stars Whitney Houston, Britney Spears and Donna Summer. Find out more about Sherma Andrews by visiting her website.
- Published: December 18, 2014
WARWICK – The Chosun Taekwondo Academy through its Leadership Team, along with directors Cheryl Crouchen, Pam Pyke and Bryce Parkinson, doubled their efforts to support the community this holiday season by collaborating on humanitarian projects with The Warwick Community Kitchen and the Warwick Lions Club.
Members of the team helped to prepare and serve Thanksgiving meals to over 200 area residents at the former Pine Island Elementary School. The dinner was made possible through food donations from members of the Chosun Taekwondo Academy and funds raised by the Chosun Leadership Team.
Preparations had been underway since September for the Annual Warwick Lions Club and Warwick Valley Rotary Club Heartwarming Holiday Experience for Local Children in Need. Funds raised by the Chosun Leadership Team were used to purchase dozens of toys and clothing items which were then gift-wrapped by team members and distributed to local-area, underprivileged children and their families during the annual Holiday Party held on December 12th at the Warwick Reformed Church.
The Chosun Leadership Team, along with Lions Club coordinator Claire Gabelmann, Lions Club members and volunteers, decorated the facility in preparation for the festivities. Gabelmann, chairperson of the holiday project stated, “The Chosun Team and their directors were nothing short of amazing. They were well organized in their fundraising efforts and while shopping for children in need. We were thoroughly impressed by their abilities and enthusiasm. Without a doubt, the project could not have been a success without the help of the Chosun Leadership Team.”
Master Doug Cook, owner and head instructor of the Chosun Taekwondo Academy, described the volunteer program as “a vehicle within the framework of our school where young martial artists cultivate leadership skills while providing humanitarian services to our community at large. Time and time again these young people have demonstrated their maturity and compassion in successfully meeting these goals”.
Earlier events sponsored by the Chosun Leadership Team have included refurbishing plantings in the Warwick Town Park, village beautification, and assistance with tree planting, generating funds for the Brian Ahearn Children’s Fund, the Warwick Historical Society, the Warwick Humane Society and the Warwick Ambulance Corp.
For information about classes in taekwondo and hatha yoga offered by the Chosun Taekwondo Academy located at 62 Main Street in Warwick, call 845-986-2288, or visit their web site at www.chosuntkd.com.